Journey of Maplecrest Baptist Church
In September of 1958, Reverend J.R. Gibson of the Orange Associational Survey Committee approached Brother Vaughn French, song director at Northwest Baptist Church, about starting a mission in the Vidor area. After much prayer Brother French resigned his position at Northwest Baptist Church and shared the vision of starting a mission with the church body. Various individuals in the church desired to help in the effort and after a series of prayer meetings the first Sunday school class was held on October 26, 1958 in the home of Peggy and Walter Wallace.
The Lord Provides
In the early 1950s, Governor Strickland and his wife Carrie, members of First Baptist Church Orange, owned property east of Vidor, which they developed into the Maplecrest subdivision. Working in conjunction with their pastor, Brother Cooper Waters, they set aside an acre of prime real estate along Interstate 10 for the purposes of the Lord’s work. This land was donated to the small group of believers who had already begun a mission in Vidor. On October 29, 1958, the new mission was officially named Maplecrest Baptist Church.
Under the direction of Northwest Baptist Church’s pastor, the new mission took action to identify and organize itself into a Southern Baptist Church. On January 18, 1959, as a result of much prayer, faith, and commitment, Maplecrest Baptist Church achieved that goal and became an official Southern Baptist Church. Forty-six charter members dedicated the new church on that day.
Seasons of Growth
In April of 1962, the congregation moved into a newly constructed sanctuary on the Maplecrest property, which was a multipurpose building with the front half being used for worship services. The back half of the building was used for classes with burlap curtains separating the different rooms. A nursery and additional classrooms were in the very front of the building behind the choir loft. Additional facilities to serve the growing church were added to the campus over the years: an educational building (now the children’s ministry building) was added in 1966, a parsonage (now the church offices) was built in 1970, a Fellowship Hall in 1976, and in 1996 a Family Life Center. In 1997, Maplecrest Baptist Church purchased additional property adjoining the church and with God's direction and help, and Pastor David Valleau's leadership, the church constructed a new sanctuary on the newly acquired property in 2013.
God continues to bless Maplecrest Baptist Church. We have a body of believers with a vision for the future. We look forward to God's guidance and blessings upon Maplecrest Baptist Church as we seek to evangelize, grow, and equip to the glory of God! Our vision is to be a going church for a coming Christ!